What Abuse Looks Like #1Tue, Dec 30th 2003
I met my current boyfriend a little over a year ago, he asked me to move in w/him just a couple of weeks after we started our relationship, I did. And a couple of months later we found a new place where we live now. We have had several arguments and he always reacted in a violent manner, punching holes on walls throwing objects around, we have had a couple of confrontations where we have pushed each other around, he calls me bad names while arguing and I believe abuses me verbally. I moved out about 3 months ago after another violent altercation but moved back in 2 days later, things had changed tremendously up until now, he's going back to the violent behavior and the verbal abuse, he says he changed and we still have problems so "I guess I'm the problem" and I should be the one changing. I don't know how to handle an argument w/him, I can't seem to get pass a discussion w/out letting blow out of proportion and always admitting I was wrong, apologizing for everything; my self-esteem is now on the floor. Tonight I was told to F**k off and not come home, not even to think about it, I'm tired of the threats, I'm tired of being scared, I know he needs my help he doesn't have anyone else in this world and I do care about him, the love is vanishing. Please help me.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.