Depression TreatmentWed, Nov 14th 2007
I am a 48 year old female who is very depressed. My father was an alcoholic and my mother was an enabler. There was no love or affection ever shown in my home. I was constantly put down and degraded. I seemed to be handling all this quite well until I was twenty. The night before my brothers wedding he got into a car accident where his fiancee died and he lived. Because he had a couple drinks and lived in a dry state he was being charged with manslaughter. I handled a lot of the legalities and my brothers issues since my parents couldn't. He ended up committing suicide 5 months later. AT first I hid my feelings as I always did. A year later I couldn't get out of bed. I did finally conceded to counseling and medication. That really helped. My therapist moved out of state and since then I have gone to a few but I never seem to stick with it. I really connected with that first one and can't seem to connect with any other. I took Effexor for several years until that became ineffective. Both my parents are deceased and the depression has worsened. I have not taken an antidepressant in four years and need to find a good therapist and antidepressant. I seem to cycle with being angry and overstimulated to not being able to get out of bed. One psychiatrist diagnosed me with manic depression disorder and I believe that. Please direct to proper therapy and specifically some medications. How long do I need to wait for the meds to work? Thanks ...Sandy
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.