A question concerning gender identity.Sun, Nov 26th 2006
When I was a young girl, I insisted on wearing boys' clothing, and even cut my hair short. Many, many people often mistook me for a boy, and I even pretended to be a boy sometimes. I had hobbies that my older brother had, and still have. He told me one time that I was 'a boy trapped in a girl's body', and it still echoes in my mind to this very day. Today, when I look back on my younger childhood, I wonder if I have, or still have some kind of gender identity issue. Today, I dress normally and look like a girl, but nearly every waking hour I have an ongoing thought, or fantasy obsession with male homoeroticism. I'm not sure if that is pushing the boundary of the question that I'm about to ask, but almost every night for several years I have had these thoughts and gain sexual arousal from them as well (I'm not into porn though). I've discussed this with someone and they said I might be bisexual, but I am not attracted to women in a sexual way. So my question is, do I have a gender identity problem? Could I just be a male homosexual in a female's body, or are these fantasies on a separate plane from gender identity?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.