Sometimes I Regret Not Having a Proper Relationship With Another Woman.Thu, Dec 2nd 2010
I'm a 21 year old woman and happily engaged to a man I've been with for three years. I do want to marry him and have children with him, but he doesn't know I'm bisexual. I never told him because it didn't seem relevant. Now I feel we've been together too long for me to just come out and say it. He's also not the most understanding about sexuality. He's not homophobic, his best friend is gay, but he had a very religious upbringing and I think he's conditioned to believe sexuality is a choice. Additionally, he's overweight and I know he sometimes thinks I'm not sexually attracted to him. I don't really want to make that worse by saying I also like women.
The problem is that I sometimes regret never having had the experience of sex with another woman. I'm jealous of all the people who accepted their sexuality before they met the person of their dreams. It's not that I don't want to be with him, I just feel a bit that I'm lacking the experience of knowing for a fact that I'm bisexual, and while it's not a constant feeling, it nags at the back of my mind. I've been in love with girls and had relationships with them, but I've never had sex with one. I've never cheated, and never would. I don't see the point of being with someone and wanting someone else. I just want to not think about it, because it's not going to be relevant as long as I'm with him.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.